Thursday, August 11, 2011

Leaps and Bounds

At the beginning of the summer, I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish.

Did I finish Anna Karenina? How about Agony and the Ecstasy?

Nope.

Did I keep up on my German? How about finally learning how to play a song on my guitar?

I didn't do any of those things either...

So, I didn't accomplish many of my goals from that list.
But I really feel like this summer has been a successful one.

I've done things I never thought I would do before.
I've hiked. I've run. I've read. I've laughed. I've cried. I've stayed up so late my eyes hurt; swearing in the morning never again to stay up that late... at least until the next night.

I've made new friends. Some that will leave indelible impressions on me for the rest of my life.

The best part about this summer, was that it was all for me. Like I mentioned before, I've never had a "single" summer in Provo. But this summer was all about improving myself as a person, rather than my relationship with someone else.
I started running! I learned how to ride a bike!

And now, a mission.

So, we write these lists of goals. Constantly chasing this dream of who we want to be. Yes, I still have far to go to become the woman I really want to be. I hope the mission will make me more charitable. Less judgmental. And please, I hope to lose my tendency towards self-pity.

But it's so nice sometimes to just sit back and say, "Hey, you know what? I've done something here. And I'm going to be proud of it."

This summer was full of ups and downs; moments of heartache coupled with blissful moments of exquisite joy. I learned so much, even in these past few weeks.

I'm not proud of every moment.
But right now, in this moment here, I am proud.

No comments: