Monday, January 7, 2013

The First Day of School

First day of classes went well.

I only had Mormon Women's History and my internship. Both went splendidly.

Although when I told my co-worker that I was taking Mormon Women's History he very condescendingly said, "What will that class even be about?"

Mormon. Women's. History. Duh.

It's situations like that that prompted my move into women's studies. I'm just grateful my up-bringing was so diversified.

This class will be interesting. I think the rest of the world has this idea that Mormons just accept everything that they're taught. But this class will deal with some tough issues, and I'm excited to exercise "the principle of independent verification by revelation" (Dallin H. Oaks, Joseph Smith in a personal World, BYU Studies 44:4, page 167).  Already I can tell there will be a wide variety of opinions about the different topics we're studying. But in an environment that's so homogenous, I've never experienced that before. So I think it's a good thing.

And as for my internship,

I'm in LOVE. The Danish masters had me at Copenhagen. The most exciting thing I learned today is that the exhibit is actually opening in November. Much sooner than I had anticipated. My boss flew to New York this afternoon to acquire some more paintings for the exhibit. I'm already fascinated by how these loan deals work. This loan deal isn't looking so great. We're all praying to get these paintings.
Those bearded German artists get me every time.

No comments: