Monday, November 16, 2009

Rathaus

One of the most striking buildings in the city scape is the Rathaus, which is situated on the Ringstrasse. We were privilaged with a tour. Right now, the Rathaus is decked out in all it's Christmas glory. And I love it! The interior is just as a amazing. It's done in Gothic style. The thing about Gothic style in Austria is that there isn't any really. When the style was popular, Austrians were too busy fighting off the Turks to build churches. So most of the churches were built during Maria Theresa's reign, in Baroque style.
I think that Gothic churches are my favorite. There have been several Baroque churches that I've really enjoyed; Karlskirche, Melk. But Gothic style is very simple and loaded with symbolism. The city hall is less loaded with symbolism. But I like it just the same. There isn't much to say about the Rathaus I think, except that the interior is beautiful. I have pictures on Facebook for your viewing pleasure.

No comments: