Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My Weekend Inside the Loop, Day 1

"What if I went to New York to research the introduction of kimchee onto American food, like tacos?"

That's how the idea for our weekend get-away started. Lindsay is taking a capstone class on the history of food, and naturally, when you have a father that's a pilot, the opportunity to research in other parts of the continental US shouldn't be taken lightly.

The idea of her paper evolved from kimchee to Aztec feasting, and I got invited to tag along. Long story short, we ended up in Chicago because the only permanent exhibition on the Aztecs in America is at the Natural History Museum there, and one of my best friends is doing grad school at Rush University. So with a place to stay, and things to research, who could say no?

And now, a whole lotta pictures:

My first trip on the "L" I was a little disappointed at how uneventful it all was. No murders or drug deals or anything... that I knew of
 
 Lindsay standing rather sophisticated in front of the bean
 

  Everyone needs a few of these right???
 


 soooo trippy
 

 The fateful moment where I lost my venture card. What a noob.
 
 I have been wanting to see this building FOR YEARS
 
 dream fulfilled


 A little piece of Vienna
 
A little piece of Korea

 A little piece of Utah (someone might want to clean these though. Life is looking a little shabby for that piece of granite)
 
 

Pizza heaven. Good thing my mouth is so big because I was able to eat every last piece.  

Another touristy photo op which one cannot leave the city without
 
When Jette was taking the picture above this one, a very nice, albeit inebriated man asked if we would like him to take our picture. Jette said yes, and inwardly I freaked out. We were sure he was going to still my phone. But he didn't! Amidst the swaying, he took several pictures. This is the only one in which you can see our faces. Kind of.

We ended the night at the Sky Room on the 96th floor of the Hancock Tower. Pretty amazing view. Also, the crème brulee I had was fabulous.
 
Stay tuned for Days 2 and 3
 



 

1 comment:

Lindsey and Jared said...

Is it sad that I noticed a "Fidelity" office behind you in one of your pictures?? smh

Can't wait for Days 2 and 3 :)