Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Inside the Loop-Day 2

When I climbed into bed on Friday night at Jette's apartment, I thought the sound of the 'L' was dreamy and surreal, and it felt like I was really living the city life. But then her roommate came home and opened the window, and the 'L' started coming every few minutes and I thought I was going to shoot someone (Chicago was getting to me I guess). I eventually closed the window and ended up sleeping in far far longer than we had intended or planned. Lindsay and Juliette reassured me that this was ok because guess what, I WAS ON VACTION. After waking up at 6:30 every morning, I deserved to sleep in. So, without further ado, pictures from day 2:



 These are the three panels of Marc Chagall's stained glass windows in the art institute. You can learn more about them here.
 

After the Bullfight by Mary Cassatt, 1873

 Distant View of Niagara Falls by Thomas Cole, 1830
 
 View of the Cotopaxi by Frederic Edwin Church, 1857
 
 
This is by Elihu Veddar, whom I researched a little bit for one of the curators at the Museum. I loved seeing his work in person.

Frank Lloyd Wright. I love his designs more than anything.


 Just a little Grant Wood.
 
 And you though Georgia O'Keefe could only paint flowers. Nope!
 
Sup, Whistler.

More Cassatt, 'cuz... ya know.

Monet, Monet, Moooonet!


I had no idea this painting was in Chicago. But when I turned to examine paintings on one wall and saw it there, I all but swooned. This was it, this was the painting that started it all. In high school, I took an art class. The only physical thing I took from the class was an ugly black pot that may or may not be sitting on a bookshelf at my parents' house. Intellectually, I took joy in the fact that I found something I loved. This was the first painting I ever analyzed. The teacher explained that the assignment was often difficult for students in the past, but he had respected my essay so much that he asked if he could keep it for an example for later classes. And there it is in Chicago. Thanks George Seurat. You put me on a track that I love.  

I forgot I wasn't supposed to take pictures in this exhibition until I already did. (insert sheepish look here) But I just wanted the long shot anyway. The story of this painting has fascinated me since I learned about it in my women in art class. You can read about it here.

 Even with all of my slightly feminist sensibilities, what I wouldn't give for one of these right now...
 


We left the museum in a hurry, so I missed all of the first floor. I suppose I'll have to go back. The pirogues made up for it some.   

This picture is solely for Lindsay's sake.

This was taken after we found out the Field closed at 3 that day. Sooo we had to make a trip on Sunday. After that disappointment, we headed to the Mag Mile.

 This was where every childhood dream was fulfilled. THE AMERICAN GIRL DOLL STORE. I wanted so desperately to buy something for my sister, but $100 for a doll? Though this trip was free, I couldn't bring myself to do it.
 
 They had a hair salon. A HAIR SALON FOR DOLLS.
 
And a brief shout out to the lego store.

 
Jette got this got picture of Lindsay and I on the river. She should have been in it. My only regret this whole trip is that I didn't get a more pictures with that girl. I love her. So. Much.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

Yes, I still have the black put on the book shelf.