Friday, April 6, 2012

Of Tests, Trials, and the Provo City Center Temple

Yesterday, I was sitting on the Sacramento Temple grounds, looking up at one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.

And then I started thinking about the Provo Tabernacle. About what it was before it burnt down. It was a beautiful old building. The seats were horribly uncomfortable. But the stained glass captured the light perfectly, the bricks were solid and comforting, and the spires pointed to heaven; just like all the experiences I seemed to have there.

But then the tabernacle burned down. 


It wasn't anyone's fault really. Maybe there are fingers of blame that should be pointed. But for the most part, it was an accident.

If buildings had personalities, I'd imagine that the tabernacle would be somewhat disappointed in itself.


"I'm burned down. I'm ugly. All of those things that went on inside me: the conferences, the concerts; they will never be again. I can't fulfill my purpose... I will be torn down." That's what she would say.

But beneath the ashes lay a greater purpose. And rather than be torn down, the tabernacle will be built anew. But as a temple. Renewed to a more glorious and perfect state than it was before. Full of rooms where people will be able to go and catch glimpses of eternity.

So I was thinking yesterday about how we can be similar to the Provo tabernacle. Our lives sometimes can feel like they've burned down around us. Defeated and dejected, we can say the same things, "I'm burned down. I'm ugly... I can't fulfill my purpose."

But then Heavenly Father takes us, with His new plans, and we become rebuilt; fulfilling purposes greater than we'd ever imagined. There's been many times I've cried out the same things in the last six months. I know I don't have it bad as most people. But it's been hard feeling broken and defeated; feeling as though I can't fulfill my purpose. But those same experiences in the past have taught me that God is in details.

It's just a matter of being patient. And then we finally understand what God was waiting to rebuild from our ashes.

 35 Who shall separate us from the alove of Christ? shall btribulation, or distress, or cpersecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
 37 Nay, in all these things we are amore than bconquerors through him that loved us.
 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to aseparate us from the blove of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:35, 37-39

Happy Easter

No comments: