Monday, June 13, 2011

Cuz baby you're a firework.

Here's what I love about summer:

you have these perfect lazy days the culminate into a feeling of invincibility.

Last Saturday was such a day.

I awoke to the strains of the pool party coming from outside of my window (which admittedly, got me off on the wrong foot for the day).
But then I spent most of the morning, blissfully reading in bed. Completely ignoring the rest of the world as I slipped into the life of Katniss Everdeen and the Hunger Games. Crankiness eliminated.

The fun commenced with the ward closing social. It was the perfect kind of hot outside. The kind where you don't quite sweat, but you get sticky all over. We threw water balloons at each other. And then just laid in the grass. The only thing that could have made it more perfect would have been a trip to the frozen yogurt shop. So we went! I savored every delicious bite on the couch outside our apartment.

That night, we went to a fireworks show in Orem. We got caught watching it in traffic. But it ended up being great because we blasted "We're coming to America." I'm now convinced the only way to watch fireworks is while listening to that song.

Then, as we drove back with the windows rolled down, listening to the Shins, I felt the perfect kind of contentment that only summer nights can bring. Do you know the feeling I'm talking about? You're just so comfortable in your own skin. And you're with people you care about. And there's no pressure to be anything but yourself. It's the type of moment you want to live in forever.

I wanted so badly to just drive up to the canyon and just be. I wanted to stare up at the stars and talk about life for hours. I wanted to feel the cool grass against my skin.

But we settled on roasting marshmallows on the bbq in the courtyard.
It was still fun of course.

But I hope I can find people to spend my summer nights with... I'm sad that's been the only one night like this so far.

I just want to lay in the grass on a summer night, and be with someone while we say everything without really saying anything at all, just thinking about life's fireworks.


Who's game?

No comments: