Tuesday, May 24, 2011

An Art Historian's Train of Thought

When I hear the word Pennsylvania, the first thing that comes to mind is not the Amish.

Nor the Hershey's Chocolate Factory.

Forget Philadelphia and Ben Franklin, or any of the other founding fathers for that matter.

Lake Erie is the last thing on my mind.

When I hear Pennsylvania, I think of this guy:

William Penn's Treaty with the Indians when he founded the Province of Pennsylvania in North America, Benjamin West, 1771

Not William Penn himself, just the painting...

It's weird right?

So now you know my big secret: Everything in my head boils back down to one thing. The day dreams and word associations that play out in my head come back to this one thing. My obsessions in life build their foundations on one thing.

The thing we call art.

No comments: