Thursday, April 14, 2011

Anxiety

I guess I just instinctively know good art when I see it. (Pretentious much?)

As the slide list was is being handed out in my last Art History 350 class, I glanced at the top of the page. And who do I see but my very favorite Czech artist Otto Gutfruend!

When I visited the Czech Cubist Museum in Prague, I fell in love with Otto. I especially loved his statue Anxiety (1911). I walked around the whole museum and just kept coming back to it again and again. It immediately became one of my favorite pieces of art. (I have a lot of those though, don't worry)

And then yesterday in class my professor tells us that Anxiety was the cubist art sculpture in Eastern Europe. It symbolized the movement for the Czechs and was as equally important for them as Les Demoiselles d'Avignon was for the Cubist movement in Western Europe.


Like I said, I guess I just know great art when I see it.

1 comment:

Lindsey and Jared said...

What an incredible statue! I love it :)