Sunday, March 13, 2011

"Believe in Good Things to Come"

Winter semester is a difficult time at BYU.

The days are short and gray. The homework assignments are long and tiresome. The midterms and papers pile up higher than we have time to think. It really feels like there is no end in sight; especially when so many of our other friends at other universities are having the time of their lives during the spring breaks that we don't get.

It is melt-down month here at the Y.


My co-worker came into work the other day, completely discouraged. He's putting so much into his master's program, and he fears he won't succeed in getting a chaplaincy appointment in the army. I listened to him as he voiced his frustrations about time. After serving two tours of duty, the only thing he really wants to do is be with his wife and kids while he can. But he has to study, and write papers, and work. And he's the Elder's Quorum President in his ward on top of all of that. He just never fills like he quite measures up.

I wish that I could say this was an isolated case, but I've had too many friends break down at this time of year. And I just want to grab them by the shoulders, give them a good squeeze, and say, "Stop worrying. You have no idea how amazing you are. Hold on. Be faithful. You will make it through."

In fact, I find myself looking into the mirror, willing myself to think the same things every morning.

But that's the great thing about the gospel. Through Jesus Christ, we can find hope in seemingly hopeless situations. No matter what the stresses of the day are, I can find quiet solace in the scriptures every morning, my prayers each night, and the solid bright compassionate examples of my friends each day.

Thanks for this one Elder Holland.
(click here)

Happy Sunday.

No comments: