Monday, November 16, 2009

The Fall of the Berlin Wall

Last week was the anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall. I'm really glad for the oppurtunity to be in Europe for this. I got some amazing insights from people who were here when it happened. We talked a lot about it in our German class. But we also spent two days in Art History talking about it.

I'm really enjoying my Art History class here. There is a big focus on architecture. Our professor explains to us a lot about the meaning and symbolism behind buildings and structures. It's pretty easy I think to understand the symbolism behind a wall being built in the middle of a country. But I think few Americans in my generation understand the great healing power that the wall being torn down had. I don't think that I really did until I came here. I don't think it's something you can really understand until you've come to Europe and spoken with people who were here during the war. It was a huge healing experience for the wall finally to be torn down. The Cold War was over.


There's a church in Dresden that was completely destoryed during the war. Frauenkirche, the Church of our Lady. Dresden lies in East Germany, so it was taken over by communism after the end of the war. So Frauenkirche was left there to

No comments: