Sunday, April 6, 2014

On Feeling Awkward

If there are barriers, it is because we ourselves have created them. We must stop concentrating on our differences and look for what we have in common; then we can begin to realize our greatest potential and achieve the greatest good in this world. -Bonnie L. Oscarson

Yesterday, I was feeling pretty awkward at church. I try to insert myself to help where needed. But when you don't know what's going on... it feels like just that, a big awkward insertion. An awkward, foreign, graceless, humongous, stupid insertion.

But after I listened to this, I got over myself. So what if I only know basic Korean? I know how to say, "How can I help?" (In middle and high form, thank you very much). So what if I'm not as funny in Korean as I am in English (read, not funny in Korean at all)? I can still smile. So what if I feel like Andre the Giant when I stand next to the other sisters in the ward? I still have hands, and arms, and feet that can help. It doesn't matter what size they are.

As I was listening to this talk, Oh Kyoung Mi called to see if I could help one of the sisters in the ward who's sick.... After that, I quite poignantly saw that the only barriers here are the barriers I've created for myself. We should never let our own insecurities become road blocks to helping others. I mean that's what living your religion is supposed to be about right?

Funny how general conference has all the exact messages we need to hear. Can't wait to listen to the rest.

No comments: