Sunday, April 20, 2014

I choose you Jeonju

I was at church for kind of a long time today. It started at 9, and I got asked to stay for an extra meeting. So I didn't make it out of there until 1:30, maybe 1:45. I narrowly missed the bus I needed to take. I even saw it idling at my bus stop from about 50 feet away. But I was wearing heels and couldn't run to catch it.

This is all just to explain that by the time I got home at 3:00, I was exhausted. So exhausted that I couldn't cook and just scarfed down a bowl of cereal instead. As I was sat huddled on my bed, my bowl mere inches away from my face, the YW president called and invited me to dinner. Lee Ka Yeon told me the family's name. But it's often hard for me to put Korean names with faces unless I've talked to them A LOT, and even then it might be hit or miss. To be frank, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it-- a whole meal with more Korean and me feeling awkward because I can't say much. All with people who I don't know very well.

But I went anyway.

And boy, did I swallow a whole lot of humble pie. This was one of those experiences I don't think most Korean teachers get.

We drove maybe half an hour outside of Jeonju to get to their house. We finally arrived in this remote tiny little town, and as we turned this corner, I saw a quaint, traditional, Korean gate. And then we stopped.

My mouth fell open I'm sure. They lived in this complex of old traditional Korean buildings. The family are the caretakers of the place, but they live on the property in a traditional Korean house (with a few modern amenities).

I know I've said this before, but I really was expecting Lee Min Ho to pop out from behind a corner in traditional Korean clothing.

And now, some pictures. It was hard to get any good ones because the sun was setting and the light wasn't too great. But they said they have a lot of ward activities there. Especially during the summer time because of the river nearby. So I'm sure I'll get to go back.



 

 

 


 








Dinner turned out to be really great. The bishop's family was there with their seven kids. Along with this family's three and the sisters, it made for a full house. I'm always glad when the babies are around, because it gives me something to do without having to focus on feeling awkward because I can't speak. And of course everyone was incredibly kind. I don't know why I always get so worried. It was just like a Sunday evening BBQ in America, except for the kimchee.... and the lettuce wraps.... and the chopsticks. You get what I mean though right?

A lot of Koreans think the countryside is boring, but if it means adventures like this on a regular basis, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I love you, Jeonju~

1 comment:

Lori said...

I see my girl, even if it is only the back of her, I am glad you had a great time.