Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sawdust, Power tools, and Gratitude

Thursday afternoon, I walked with my boss among the sawdust and power tools in the gallery. The fabrication team has been furiously working on construction of the exhibition and all its many parts. But this show is so big, and has so many parts that they've had to hire outside help.

My boss thanked one. I could barely make out her words over the power tools, but I could tell they were full of gratitude.

"It's a privilege," he answered. "Normally I just work on furniture. But here I get to be a part of something that touches people. Hundreds of thousands of people will see this. I'm just grateful to be a part of it in a small way."

I gulped back the tickle of tears in my throat, humbled once again by the work I get to have a part in.
Detail of Christ Healing the Blind Man, Carl Bloch, 1871

No comments: