Monday, May 6, 2013

How I really feel about PSY and Korean rap

Gangnam style aside, I don't like PSY. And here's why:

1) I don't think he's a good representation of Korean culture.

2) He's crude.

3) And even with a degree from the Berklee School of Music, his music isn't all that innovative.

But here's a Korean artist that I recently discovered that I absolutely love:

Tablo.

He graduated from Stanford with a bachelor's and master's in creative writing in just three and a half years. His IQ is over 150. The guy is a GENIUS. I love how he doesn't limit himself to one genre. And his hip-hop is about social issues rather than "gettin' tipsy in the club."

Also, he's an attractive Asain, and a tortured artist (my two greatest weaknesses).

I've tried so hard to get his book of short stories Pieces of Me for the past month and a half. Even though he originally wrote it in English, it's not printed by any American publishers. So I just console myself by listening to tracks from his last album on repeat. 

This is today's favorite:

No comments: