Sunday, September 23, 2012

Salt Lake, the TRC and Temples


I had all these grand plans on Friday to spend the day in Salt Lake, moseying around and exploring all the places I haven't been before. But as soon as we finished shopping at the new mall, I found myself drawn to Temple Square just right across the street.
So instead of all the grand plans we'd made, Lindsey, Av, and I spent the evening caught up in all of the exhibits at the Church History Museum. And I just kept thinking to myself, "This is the perfect way to spend my birthday weekend."

A museum worker asked us if we'd picked a favorite piece in the International Art Show. But I couldn't pick one. There were so many pieces that absolutely captured emotions I've long felt but never been able to express. You can see all the art from the show through this link here.
But, if I had to really pick just one, it would be this one: 

Oh, How Lovely Nanette Mills 

Yesterday, Lindsey and I volunteered at the TRC (the teaching resource center in the MTC). I was a little nervous about volunteering, especially when they didn't have enough volunteers and Lindsey and I got split up for the first hour. My Korean isn't very good. And I was nervous I would trip over my Korean more than the missionaries. But during the second lesson, Lindsey and I got taught by these amazing sisters. Near the end of the lesson, they asked us to bear our testimonies. My heart was so full. I was so overcome with emotion and gratitude for the gospel of Jesus Christ. It didn't matter that my Korean was awful, all that mattered was the Spirit in the room, and those two sisters. I'm so grateful I met them, and for what they taught me in that short lesson: if we make an effort to invite the Spirit of the Lord to be with us, it will be there. 

This afternoon was the Brigham City Temple dedication. More than ever, I felt the presence of something greater than myself. But rather than feeling small, I felt blessed and privileged to sit at the feet of men and women that can reveal the eternal.  

My plans for life seem to be constantly changing. Fluidly, my life moves at a rapid pace that I can't seem to control no matter how hard I try. A year ago, I never guessed that I would be here. But today, I am more grateful than I've ever been that I came home.




“Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I didn’t intend you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down.’” -Elder Christofferson quoting President Hugh B. Brown

No comments: