Monday, July 18, 2011

How do you say "overwhelmed" in Korean?

As soon as the elation of last Wednesday wore off, I felt immediately and wholly inadequate for what I'm about to do.

I just thought would have more time to figure everything out. But I don't. I have a month left in Provo, and just barely a month and a half until I enter the MTC.

Questions started shooting around in my head so quickly, that I barely had time to think of one, before another one would pop up!

Where am I going to store my things?
What am I going to do with my cell phone?
Where am I going to get new clothes?
Should I just make new skirts?
What if I never can master eating with chop sticks?
Do they even have cheese in Korea?
What if I have to use a squatting toilet!?
What about showers there?

More and more questions flooded my brain last week, while I sat at my computer eyes staring blankly at the screen, unable to work, completely full of anxiety. Because, on top of everything else, I have to learn Korean! K O R E A N!

Through last week, I had numerous people giving me advice. Most of it unasked for (and a bit unwanted, since it just tended to stress me out even more).

"No one who knows me really well would have ever guessed I was going to Korea." I said to a friend of mine. "It's just so unexpected!"
"Yeah, but someone you knows you the best of all is sending you there," he replied.


I hadn't thought about it that way.

Sunday was filled with more advice. However, this time around, it was asked for, and very much wanted.

It was nice to hear someone say, "Don't worry. These fears are normal. It's your anxiety that qualifies you for the work. Without that fear, you wouldn't turn to the Lord. And that's really where you should be turning. It's normal to be overwhelmed."

Then that friend with the great advice gave me a blessing.
After that, I called my family, and some of my major concerns seemed to find solutions.

Everything really will work out.

I just have to remember: the future is as bright as my faith.

It would be easy to become discouraged and cynical about the future—or even fearful of what might come—if we allowed ourselves to dwell only on that which is wrong in the world and in our lives. Today, however, I’d like us to turn our thoughts and our attitudes away from the troubles around us and to focus instead on our blessings as members of the Church. The Apostle Paul declared, “God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”
-President Thomas S. Monson Be of Good Cheer- April 2009

No comments: