Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Road to Wyoming

Yesterday was intense. I went through such a myriad of emotions.

The actual day part was long and stressful. I felt like I wasn't doing anything right.

There was a group from the program going to see Margie(our program head's wife, from Vienna). She's home recovering from brain surgery. They live all the way in Alpine, and I'd decided after the long day that I probably wouldn't join them to visit her. But then Julia called. And I was whisked away in the Prius northward.
I rode with Melinda, Melissa, and Julia. I love being around Melissa. She seems to have a calming effect on people. We call her Happy Valley. I haven't seen her much since we've been back.
I think the funniest moment of the night was driving through Taco Bell.
The cashier asked what Julia would like, she gave her order. And then I pipped out of the back window, "Your numba!"
Julia wasn't too thrilled. We pulled forward, and the friendly man upgraded the size of her drink. FOR FREE! haha.
We all heard him say to pull forward, and so we did. But I guess he didn't, because when we turned to look back, the poor guy was sticking his head out of the window with Julia's food in hand. She jumps out of the car to run back... neglecting to put it in park. We're all sitting buckled in tight, powerless to stop the car as it rolls forward! Julia is just standing there, in shock. And the car behind us, as well as the cashier are all just laughing. I thought we were going to crash. But luckily, Melissa was there to save the day! With reflexes like cat woman, she bends over with seat belt still on, and pushed the foot break with her hand! It was a very intense moment in time. None of us could stop laughing. And as we leave the parking lot to turn back onto the street, Julia almost turns into the drive thru again. More laughter ensued.

The visit with the Holmes was very pleasant. I've missed Margie. It's good her recovery has gone so well.

On the way home, we all sat in jabbering away in Julia's full car; alternately all talking, and jamming out to our favorite ballads. It was good to be back with the Wien crew. We stopped for milkshakes at the Purple Turtle. One word: Delicious.

The ride back to Provo was filled with more ballad singing. I love driving in the car and singing my heart out!
It's around 11:30 by the time we reach my apartment. And Julia and I just can't find an epic enough song to jam out to in the car and end the night on.

"We just need to drive one more place" I say.
"Where? What's still open?" she says.
"I don't know. Wal-mart?" I suggest.
"No, we need some place cool. How about Wyoming?"

Why not? I've been so responsible lately. Why not?
And so we did! Last night, we drove to Evanston and back again.
We sang songs at the top of our lungs and just talked about life. And I realized how long it had been since I'd done something truly spontaneous like that. And I consider myself a pretty spontaneous person. But I hadn't been spontaneous since last summer. All my movements have been so carefully planned out. And I'd forgotten how great it is to do something a little crazy.

So often in Europe, I'd get to be places I'd never been before. I'd also forgotten how exhilarating it is to see something for the very first time. To drive on a road for the first time. To step on unknown territory. To see the sky from a different perspective.

Last night, we drove home listening to Transistor Radio by Cloud Cult. The sky had cleared, and the moon light was shining down on a lake by the side of the road. It was perfect. And yeah, I'm pretty tired today. But I'd say it was worth it. The song explains it all.



ps. in other good news. I got the second research assistant position. I'm going to be consumed by everything and anything WWI this summer. Thank goodness Fraz Josef and I are on such cozy terms. ;0)

No comments: